Rochester's Sandhal captures Market Square Day women's race
Robert Gomez of Saco, Maine won the 35th annual Market Square Day 10k road race in Portsmouth on Saturday, finishing in 31:55.
Rochester’s Denise Sandhal was the top female finisher, clocking in at 38:01. Sandhal finished 14th overall.
The historic race begins in Market Square and winds through the streets and along the coast before finishing at Strawberry Banke Museum. More than 1,750 runners took part in Saturday’s race.
The remainder of the men’s top 10 finishers were Jim Johnson (Madison, 32:33), Andrew Hoogenstyn (Portland, Maine, 32:48), Patrick Moulton (Providence, R.I., 33:01), Chris Ritchie (Hampton, 34:50), Peter McNeil (Barrington, 35:21) Colby Nixon (Eliot, Maine, 35:29) Nathan Huppe (Dover, 35:43), Cameron Barth (Lee, 36:19) and Matthew Weber (York Beach, Maine, 36:19).
The rest of the top 10 runners in the women’s field were Nicole Toye (Durham, 39:29), Megan Parker (Portsmouth, 39:57), Emily Franoc (Hampton, 41:07), Bridgette Desmond (Portsmouth, 42:12), Anne Marie Prewitt (Eliot, Maine, 42:43), Christine O’Leary (Somersworth, 43:07), Caroline Merrill (Portsmouth, 43:33), Ashley Busa (Portsmouth, 43:45) and Ashley Witt (Boston, Mass., 43:50).
Stephan Mayeux (Portsmouth, 1:02:27) and Katelyn Thigpen (Greenland, 1:10:17) won the men’s and women’s racewalk divisions, respectively.
Keith Winchell of The Villages, Fla. won the wheelchair division in 42:46.
Jane Levesque of Nashua established a record in the 70-and-over female division. The 70-year-old finished in 59:05 to beat out 2008’s record from Anne Knight (59:18).
Another 70-yeard-old, Lawson Noyes of Kennebunk, Maine, won the male 70-plus division with a time of 44:10.
►Click here for race results from coolrunning.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bruins take 3-0 series lead - 1
- Bruins cruise to Game 2 win over Rangers - 1
- Game 1 thriller goes to Bruins in OT - 0
- Bruins vs. Rangers: Here we go again - 0
- Bruins win Game 7 in overtime in epic comeback - 2
- Bruins’ scoring woes continue; series finale tonight - 0
- Goalie Reimer brilliant against Bruins as Leafs force Game 6 - 0
- Krejci 'tricks' Toronto, Bruins one win from advancing - 0
- Bruins beat Toronto for series lead - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Warwick Mills scores $94.3 million contract from Army for body armor - 0
- Senate OKs medical pot, with plenty of restrictions - 0
- Rangers win in overtime, stay alive for Game 5 - 0
- Hanefeld shoots 74 at Senior PGA - 0
- Bishop Libasci to ordain 2 at St. Joseph Cathedral - 0
- Price tag to restore chimney about $1m - 0
- Officials disallow Woodmont slide show - 0
- Officials question Nashua parking proposal - 0
- House bill lowers emissions cap to meet RGGI standards - 1
License revocations for DWI announced
State’s stand-your-ground law intact
Pease chosen to receive refueling tanker
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840