Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester fire causes soot damage to vacant home
MANCHESTER — Discovered late Thursday morning in a vacant Garfield Street home, a fire smouldered for hours, belching out a film of plastic soot but doing no significant damage, a fire official said.
The black plastic soot was end to end in the house at 42 Garfield St., said District Fire Chief Jim Michael. The owner is listed as Dan Lamy.
Michael said an eviction had taken place, and Lamy had recently restored the power in order to renovate the home.
An X-box was on an electric stove, and when the power was restored, an electric burner that had been left on energized, Michael said.
“The X-box basically melted to extinction,” he said.
The cause of the fire was listed as accidental.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
- Two hurt in Epping crash involving bus, five other vehicles - 0
- New Boston man killed in fiery Mont Vernon crash - 0
- Man suffers serious burns in Plaistow house fire - 0
- Fire in Claremont Middle School of 'suspicious' origin - 0
- Construction of temporary bridge in Francestown set to start this month - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Vending machines go natural - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19