Home » News » Public Safety
Windham man drowns in Salem's Shadow Lake
SALEM - Police say a 44-year-old Windham man drowned while trying to swim across Shadow Lake after he had been drinking.
Police have identified the victim as Raymond Morton.
According to a press release, emergency responders were called to the area of 75 Shadow Lake Road shortly after 9 p.m. for a report of an intoxicated man who had gone swimming and was missing.
Police said witnesses told them the man had been swimming with family members when he decided to swim across the lake to the Windham side, but he had not been seen for 15 minutes.
Salem Police Officers Mike Bolduc and Mike Geha borrowed a neighbor’s boat and found Morton floating face down in the water about 75 yards from shore. They were unable to pull him into the small boat but did keep him above the water and got him close enough to shore so that Salem Fire Department divers were able to retrieve him, according to the press release.
Rescuers tried to resusciate Morton, who was “unresponsive,” police said. He was taken by ambulance to Holy Family Hospital in Methuen, Mass., where he was later pronounced dead.
Police are investigating the incident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 1
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- House kills Hassan-backed casino bill, 199-164 - 13
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 7
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs