Thomas, in final year of contract, says he’s mulling taking a year off
Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas is considering taking a year off from playing in the NHL for family reasons, the reigning Stanley Cup champions said on Friday.
The 38-year-old goalie, who led the Bruins to their first Stanley Cup in 39 years last season and won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player of the playoffs, is heading into the final year of a contract.
“Tim came to me ... through his agent and said that he’s seriously considering taking the year off,” Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli said on a conference call to discuss contract extensions for a pair of other Boston players.
“So, as of now, I am operating under the premise that there’s a strong possibility that he’ll be taking a year off and we’d have to go about our business without Tim Thomas.”
Chiarelli said he was not certain what led to Thomas’ move, but said the goalie indicated his family was first and foremost in his thinking.
Thomas, a four-time All-Star and two-time Vezina Trophy winner as the NHL’s top goalie, went 35-19-1 with a 2.36 goals-against average for the Northeast Division champion Bruins in the 2011-12 season.
Chiarelli was hosting the conference call to discuss signing forward Daniel Paille to a three-year contract through the 2014-15 season and forward Chris Bourque to a two-year deal through the 2013-14 campaign.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No curbside collections in Manchester on Monday - 0
- Suit: Claremont's North Country Smokehouse claims $606,011 spent on diamond, SUV, more - 9
- Winnipesaukee watershed association looking to raise its profile - 0
- New Ipswich cemetery’s future is anybody guess after state objects to graves - 1
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 3
- Updated: Winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla.; 2, $1M tickets sold in NH - 0
- No more Winni whoppers: Fishing Derby winner will have to take lie detector test - 11
- Learning the way of the gun in Wakefield - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Warwick Mills scores $94.3 million contract from Army for body armor - 0
- Senate OKs medical pot, with plenty of restrictions - 0
- Rangers win in overtime, stay alive for Game 5 - 0
- Hanefeld shoots 74 at Senior PGA - 0
- Bishop Libasci to ordain 2 at St. Joseph Cathedral - 0
- Price tag to restore chimney about $1m - 0
- Officials disallow Woodmont slide show - 0
- Officials question Nashua parking proposal - 0
- House bill lowers emissions cap to meet RGGI standards - 1
License revocations for DWI announced
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
State’s stand-your-ground law intact
Casino vote stirs emotions on both sides
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840