Thomas, in final year of contract, says he’s mulling taking a year off
Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas is considering taking a year off from playing in the NHL for family reasons, the reigning Stanley Cup champions said on Friday.
The 38-year-old goalie, who led the Bruins to their first Stanley Cup in 39 years last season and won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player of the playoffs, is heading into the final year of a contract.
“Tim came to me ... through his agent and said that he’s seriously considering taking the year off,” Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli said on a conference call to discuss contract extensions for a pair of other Boston players.
“So, as of now, I am operating under the premise that there’s a strong possibility that he’ll be taking a year off and we’d have to go about our business without Tim Thomas.”
Chiarelli said he was not certain what led to Thomas’ move, but said the goalie indicated his family was first and foremost in his thinking.
Thomas, a four-time All-Star and two-time Vezina Trophy winner as the NHL’s top goalie, went 35-19-1 with a 2.36 goals-against average for the Northeast Division champion Bruins in the 2011-12 season.
Chiarelli was hosting the conference call to discuss signing forward Daniel Paille to a three-year contract through the 2014-15 season and forward Chris Bourque to a two-year deal through the 2013-14 campaign.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 14
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 22
- Roaming jihadis: A terrorist visits Manchester - 3
- Athletes and PE: Give them credit for sports - 7
- The EPA's friend: It has a loyal ally in Shea-Porter - 16
- Leading vs. following: Ayotte, Shaheen and the polls - 24
- The cupcake police: Stop! In the name of lard! - 15
- Page One Editorial: Obama is right - 27
- Taxed tips: Another NH revenue grab - 9
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
North Country ATV trail opening on schedule
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840