Home » News » Public Safety
Serious crash in Manchester injures 2; 1 arrested
MANCHESTER - Two men were seriously injured in a crash early Wednesday on Jewett Street, and one of them is under arrest, charged with felony DWI.
Police said the crash happened about 1:30 a.m just north of Cilley Road. When officers arrived, they found two men on the ground near two damaged vehicles, a Honda Civic and a Ford Explorer.
The men were taken by ambulance to the Elliot Hospital for treatment of serious injuries, according to a press release.
Johnathan Sophos, 26, of 366 Massabesic St., suffered serious injuries to his face but is expected to be released from the Elliot Hospital later Wednesday, said Lt. Maureen Tessier.
His passenger, Daniel Katsohis, 23, of 312 Spruce St., suffered face and head injuries. He remains hospitalized.
Police said a preliminary investigation indicates the Honda was traveling north on Jewett Street when it veered off the road and collided with a parked Ford Explorer at 66/68 Jewett St. No one was in the Ford.
Sophos, whom police identified as the driver of the Honda, was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of liquor, a felony.
Police said it appears both speed and alcohol are factors in the collision.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 124
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 12
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 11
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?