Home » News » Public Safety
Mother may face charges after car strikes house in Salem, daughter hurt
SALEM – A 6-year-old girl is being treated for a head laceration at a Boston hospital after her mother allegedly went over a road embankment and landed up against a house in Salem early Wednesday morning, police said.
The 43-year-old mother, whose name has not yet been released, could face charges for the early morning crash at 44 Brady Ave., police said Wednesday.
“We have not ruled out alcohol as a factor in the crash,” deputy police chief Shawn Patten said.
Patten said he couldn't elaborate about why investigators believe alcohol may have played a role in the mother driving off the road, citing the ongoing investigation.
Salem Fire and Rescue crews and police were called to the area of the Brady Avenue home at 6:22 a.m. for a report of a vehicle that possibly crashed into a house.
Police who responded to the scene determined the vehicle went off the road, over an embankment and through some brush before it came to rest up against the house, police said.
Salem Fire crews removed the mother and her daughter and transported them to Lawrence General Hospital in Massachusetts to be treated for their injuries.
Patten said an examination of the child prompted hospital officials to contact the Division for Children, Youth & Families. The girl was then brought to Tufts Medical Center for treatment.
“As far as we know, she has a laceration to her face or her head,” Patten said.
The house sustained minor damage.
Accident reconstruction experts were called to the crash scene to investigate.
Patten said the case remains active. He said DCYF officials have been in contact with officers who are working on the case and are assisting in the investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 1
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 2
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands