Home » News » Public Safety
Mother may face charges after car strikes house in Salem, daughter hurt
SALEM – A 6-year-old girl is being treated for a head laceration at a Boston hospital after her mother allegedly went over a road embankment and landed up against a house in Salem early Wednesday morning, police said.
The 43-year-old mother, whose name has not yet been released, could face charges for the early morning crash at 44 Brady Ave., police said Wednesday.
“We have not ruled out alcohol as a factor in the crash,” deputy police chief Shawn Patten said.
Patten said he couldn't elaborate about why investigators believe alcohol may have played a role in the mother driving off the road, citing the ongoing investigation.
Salem Fire and Rescue crews and police were called to the area of the Brady Avenue home at 6:22 a.m. for a report of a vehicle that possibly crashed into a house.
Police who responded to the scene determined the vehicle went off the road, over an embankment and through some brush before it came to rest up against the house, police said.
Salem Fire crews removed the mother and her daughter and transported them to Lawrence General Hospital in Massachusetts to be treated for their injuries.
Patten said an examination of the child prompted hospital officials to contact the Division for Children, Youth & Families. The girl was then brought to Tufts Medical Center for treatment.
“As far as we know, she has a laceration to her face or her head,” Patten said.
The house sustained minor damage.
Accident reconstruction experts were called to the crash scene to investigate.
Patten said the case remains active. He said DCYF officials have been in contact with officers who are working on the case and are assisting in the investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 67
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 0
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time