June 11, 2013
June 4, 2013
May 29, 2013
May 22, 2013
Woman says pool cue was used in self-defense
BRENTWOOD — A woman charged with assaulting a man with a cue stick at a pool hall in downtown Portsmouth is claiming she acted in self defense.
Haley Hansler, 26, of Greenland wants to be able to tell jurors she was defending herself when she goes to trial on two counts of second-degree assault on June 25.
Hansler was charged in connection with the assault at Legend’s Billards & Tavern around 12:20 a.m. on Dec. 24.
Prosecutors said that the man she struck was so seriously injured that he needed stitches to his face and head.
The man told Portsmouth police that Hansler accused him of raping her friend several years ago.
Hansler told police the same thing, but maintains her accusation angered the victim and placed her, “in fear of her safety,” according to defense lawyer Alan Cronheim.
Hansler hit the man once he approached, “recognizing (he) was bigger and stronger than she was, reasonably feeling as if she was about to be attacked,” Cronheim wrote in court papers.
Prosecutors have not yet responded to Hansler’s claim of self defense, but if they object then a judge will decide whether the claim can be heard by a jury.
Police say that Hansler confronted the man about the alleged rape, and struck the man when he asked what she was talking about.
Hansler was being restrained by a bouncer when police arrived. The man was near the bar holding a bloodied towel to his left eye, according to court documents.
Hansler remains free on $1,000 bail. A grand jury indicted her on Oct. 4 in Rockingham County Superior Court. If Hansler is convicted, she faces up to 3 ½ to 7 years in state prison on each of the charges. Her trial is scheduled to begin the week of June 25.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 2
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- Mass. police officer indicted in Salem sex assault - 1
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Hampton man indicted for distributing child porn - 0
- Mother of drowned baby gets prison time - 6
- Former Londonderry coach indicted in sex assault of two girls - 1
- Manchester resident interrupts burglary - 0
- Auburn woman struck in head with bottle of cologne - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 2
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 3
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424