Home » Opinion » Editorials
Outreach is overreach: Disgraceful time for House
New Hampshire House Speaker Bill O’Brien’s staff chief attempts to make a distinction that has no difference in his defense of okaying taxpayer-funded mileage vouchers for ousted House employee Robert Mead.
Mead left his job as “director of legislative outreach” after a Concord Monitor story reported that he was using his time to recruit Republicans to run for the House.
Speaker staff chief Greg Moore says he knew only that Mead was doing “Republican outreach.”
Oh, that clears it up.
But O’Brien now has bigger problems. His Majority Leader, D.J. Bettencourt, has resigned in disgrace after lying about his supposed law degree. While it is unclear just what the Speaker knew about this fiasco and when, he might do his party and the House a favor by reflecting on his own future as a leader.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 3
- Updated: Winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla.; 2, $1M tickets sold in NH - 0
- No more Winni whoppers: Fishing Derby winner will have to take lie detector test - 11
- Learning the way of the gun in Wakefield - 2
- Peterborough's renovated Adams Pool to open in June - 0
- Supreme Court says Manchester man who lost towed car while hospitalized can sue - 4
- Powerball jackpot: Another chance at the (your) golden ticket - 1
- Endowment established for Milford support organization Bridges - 0
- Flags to fly at half-staff Wednesday and Friday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 7
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 11
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 16
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 7
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 3
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Derry marks a soldier's death
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Memorial Day Observances 2013