Home » News » Public Safety
Springfield man injured as dump truck overturns in Grantham
GRANTHAM - A Springfield man suffered numerous injuries Saturday when his dump truck went off Interstate 89 and overturned, trapping him inside while fuel and smoke spewed from the vehicle, state police said.
Police said Leo Putnam, 74, was heading south on the interstate about 9:30 a.m. Saturday when a tire blew. The dump truck swerved off the road onto an embankment and overturned, police said.
A state trooper used an axe to smash the windshield to rescue Putnam, police said.
Police said Putnam suffered several broken bones, but no life-threatening injuries. He was flown to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center for treatment.
The state Department of Environmental Services was notified of the fuel spill, police said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
- Two hurt in Epping crash involving bus, five other vehicles - 0
- New Boston man killed in fiery Mont Vernon crash - 0
- Man suffers serious burns in Plaistow house fire - 0
- Fire in Claremont Middle School of 'suspicious' origin - 0
- Construction of temporary bridge in Francestown set to start this month - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 0
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 0
- Roaming jihadis: A terrorist visits Manchester - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Series key starts, ends with 'Z' - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: These Red Sox don't quit - 0
- Winning ticket for $590.5 million Powerball jackpot sold in Florida - 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19