Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Caps even series with 2OT win over Bruins
Nicklas Backstrom scored the game-winner at 2:56 of the second overtime period as visiting Washington evened its Eastern Conference quarterfinal series at 1-1 with a 2-1 victory.
After an uneventful first overtime period, Backstrom unleashed a wrister from the circle that eluded Tim Thomas to give the Capitals momentum heading back to Washington for the next two games of the series.
Braden Holtby made 43 saves to earn his first career victory playoff victory.
Troy Brouwer scored the first regulation goal of the series at 17:57 of the second period when he jammed a backhand past Thomas to put the Capitals up 1-0. The marker put an end to the Boston netminder's playoff shutout streak at 161 minutes and 41 seconds.
Benoit Pouliot avoided a poke check attempt by Holtby and chipped in a backhand to net his first career playoff goal and knot the contest at 12:13 of the third frame.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Thomas' last playoff goal allowed before Brouwer's tally was a Maxim Lapierre score at 17:34 of the third period on June 13, 2011 vs. Vancouver during Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final. ... Bruins forward David Krejci played despite nursing a sore neck after being knocked to the ice by a pane of glass at TD Garden during the team's postseason celebration Thursday.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Vin Sylvia: Cup Final has 'classic' written all over it - 0
- Bruins draw even with win in another OT thriller - 1
- B's 'encouraged' by Horton - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: We're well on our way to an epic series - 0
- Blackhawks nip Bruins in 3OT; 5th longest game in Stanley Cup final history - 0
- What Blackhawks can expect from Bruins - 0
- Richards' return to Kings nearly a storybook ending - 0
- McQuaid's goal gives Bruins a sweep and a Finals berth - 1
- Blackhawks crown Kings to take 3-1 series lead - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off