Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Caps even series with 2OT win over Bruins
Nicklas Backstrom scored the game-winner at 2:56 of the second overtime period as visiting Washington evened its Eastern Conference quarterfinal series at 1-1 with a 2-1 victory.
After an uneventful first overtime period, Backstrom unleashed a wrister from the circle that eluded Tim Thomas to give the Capitals momentum heading back to Washington for the next two games of the series.
Braden Holtby made 43 saves to earn his first career victory playoff victory.
Troy Brouwer scored the first regulation goal of the series at 17:57 of the second period when he jammed a backhand past Thomas to put the Capitals up 1-0. The marker put an end to the Boston netminder's playoff shutout streak at 161 minutes and 41 seconds.
Benoit Pouliot avoided a poke check attempt by Holtby and chipped in a backhand to net his first career playoff goal and knot the contest at 12:13 of the third frame.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Thomas' last playoff goal allowed before Brouwer's tally was a Maxim Lapierre score at 17:34 of the third period on June 13, 2011 vs. Vancouver during Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final. ... Bruins forward David Krejci played despite nursing a sore neck after being knocked to the ice by a pane of glass at TD Garden during the team's postseason celebration Thursday.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Missing the point: The IRS scandal and state power - 25
- Helping panhandlers: A method worth trying in Manchester - 7
- For the people: A century of the NH primary - 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 15
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 34
- Roaming jihadis: A terrorist visits Manchester - 5
- Athletes and PE: Give them credit for sports - 7
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Updated: NH House defies Hassan, kills casino bill by 35-vote margin - 23
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- Updated: House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands