2011 NH 48 Hour Film Project winners announced
August 05. 2011 8:38AM
Shuffle, a silent film about a group of teenagers who get caught playing a game of co-ed strip poker, was produced by Londonderry resident Scott Orlosk and Art Murphy, of Deerfield. Together, they own Indiefair Digital Arts on Londonderry Road.
The Indiefair team was one of 30 to enter this year's 48 Hour Film Project, which challenges participants to write, shoot and edit a short film in just two days. Teams don't know the genre of their film until they pick it from a hat just moments before the competition begins.
Indiefair Studios and 11 other teams received awards at the sold out “Best Of” screening at Red River Theatres in Concord last night. In addition to Best Film, Indiefair Studios walked away with awards for Best Editing, Best Cinematography, Best Directing and Best Use of Character.
The New Hampshire Union Leader is a sponsor of the competition.
Orlosk, former president of AutoFair, had assisted other 48 Hour Film Project teams in past competitions. But this was his first year leading his own team, and the challenge was much more difficult than he expected, especially given the genre they drew.
“Silent film really threw us for a loop,” he said. But when they were done, the team knew it had made a good movie. Murphy is an audio engineer and they had Indiefair's professional recording studio at their disposal to tell the story through music as opposed to subtitles.
Orlosk said most of the music was done in the middle of the night. “When we were done, we were exhausted and we were happy,” he said. Shuffle will go on to compete in the international 48 Hour Film Project competition – Filmapalooza – next year.
Other teams given awards last night included:
- Banded Light Pictures, led by Adam Volkmann of Goffstown. Their movie Resonance won awards for Best Choreography, Best Special Effect, Best Musical Score, and an Audience Favorite Award.
- Bullfinch Films, led by Rob Livie of Merrimack. Their movie Breaking the News won awards for Best Graphics and Best Use of Prop.
- Northend Productions, led by Adam Pitula of Manchester. Their movie Modern Romance won the Best Use of Line and an Audience Favorite Award.
- Fiddleheads, led by Imelda Murphy of Nashua. Their movie Waiting for Shorty won the Best Design Award.
- Purple Finch Moving Picture Society, led by John Herman of Newmarket. Their movie Sam Coffin Dies Laughing won the Best Costumes Award.
- Those Kids, led by Brendan Gillett of Manchester. Their movie Dress Up the Donkey won the Editor's Pick Award.
- Wax Idiotical Films, led by Kyp Pilalas of Walpole Mass. Their movie Love and the Art of Stealing won awards for Best Writing and Best Acting.
- Wicked Sick Film, led by Mike Place of Penacook. Their movie Tick Tock Death Clock won the Producers' Pick Award.
- Pilotgroove Pictures, led by Ben Peirce of Manchester. Their movie Just Remember They're Dead won the award for Best Undead Acting.
- Ellipsis Entertainment, led by Jeremy Collins of Newton. Their film Incumbent won the “What A Twist!” award.
For more information about the New Hampshire 48 Hour Film Project visit www.48hourfilm.com/newhampshire.
2011 NH 48 Hour Film Project Credits
On Time Films:
Ellipsis Entertainment - INCUMBENT (Superhero) -
Marsyus Films - Contingent-C (War/Anti-War)
Umbrella Productions - A Wretched Comedy (Fantasy) - VIDEO
Weekend Warriors - Playing God (Thriller/Suspense) - VIDEO
Quest - When Sawwy Dumps Harry (Comedy) - VIDEO
Mad Ned Productions - Fidelity (Horror) - VIDEO
Hysteria - Remember When? (Anniversary/Birthday) - VIDEO
New English - Cookies (Science Fiction)
DS2011 - Time? (Superhero)
Wax Idiotical - Love and the Art of Stealing (Heist)
Northend Productions - Modern Romance (Comedy) - VIDEO
Those Kids - Dress Up The Donkey (Silent Film)
Grantham Film Group - The Convenient Truth (Mockumentary)
PA Films - The New Kid (Musical/Western)
We're Getting the Band Back Together - The Long Road to Boca (Dark Comedy)
G-Dream Productions - Vote for Sharon Cook (Film de Femme)
WFam-Rocks - The Game (Heist)
Fiddleheads - Waiting for Shorty (Dark Comedy)
Pilotgroove Pictures - Just Remember That They're Dead (Mockumentary) - VIDEO
The Men Who Stare at Dice - Game On: The War Against Video Games (War/Anti-War)
Now Shooting - Deaths Favour (Birthday/Anniversary)
Bulfinch Films - Breaking the News (Detective/Cop)
Indiefair Studio - Shuffle (Silent Film)
The Team That Shall Not Be Named - War & Beans (War/Anti-War)
Wicked Sick Films! - Tick-Tock Death Clock (Horror)
Purple Finch Moving Picture Society - Sam Coffin Dies Laughing (Comedy) - VIDEO
Banded Light Pictures - Resonance (Period Piece)
1PM Media League - Truth Is (Superhero)
Backyard Sturio - Out of the Box (Suspense/Thriller)
Team Joe Public - A Walking Contradiction (Heist)