All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house

April 24. 2014 3:28PM
Firefighters survey the scene of a fire at a house at 2 Faith Lane, Manchester, Thursday afternoon. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)

MANCHESTER - A brush fire started by a fallen power line on Hazelton Avenue was spread by this afternoon's high winds and caught a nearby house on fire, according to a release by Manchester Police spokesman Lt. Maureen Tessier.

A tree that fell into a utility pole at Hazelton Avenue and Faith Lane started the series of events that resulted in the house at 2 Faith Lane catching fire, according to Tessier.

Offiicer Scott Ardita said the tree fell on the west side of Hazelton and struck utility wires on the east side of the roadway, snapping a utility pole near the top cross bars.

Electrical sparks fell to brush below, igniting a heavily overgrown area on the east side of Hazelton Avenue, just north of Faith Lane. The fire spread to the rear of the house at 2 Faith Lane, eventually engulfing the single family home and igniting a small grilling propane tank at the rear of the home.

The brush fire also burned along the property line at 342 Hazelton Ave., damaging a utility trailer and bob house stored there. That home was not damaged, and officers evacuated some of the surrounding homes as Manchester firefighters got the brush fire and house fire under control.

Hazelton Avenue, between Faith lane and Devonshire Road as of mid-afternoon is closed to traffic as PSNH repairs the damaged pole. Traffic on Old Brown Avenue is restricted. Motorists are encouraged to seek alternative routes.

Public Safety Manchester

More Headlines