March 22. 2014 10:42PM

Officer-involved shooting wounds suspect in Nashua

Union Leader Correspondent

Nashua Police Det. Sergeant Brian Kenny, left, and Sgt. Kevin O'Brian, search the grounds in front of 5 New Haven Court Saturday night while investigating an officer-involved shooting. (Tracy McGee)

NASHUA — A man was shot by a city police officer after a foot chase that ended inside an apartment complex.

A statement released by the office of Attorney General Joseph Foster said the police officer was acting "pursuant to a law enforcement investigation" when he became involved in an altercation with the suspect.

Authorities have not identified the officer or the man who was shot.

Police officers and detectives converged on the Knightsbridge Arms Condominiums, a 288-unit complex at 5 New Haven Drive, shortly before 8 p.m. Saturday after shots were fired.

The officer involved in the shooting was responding to a call for assistance at the complex that came in to another community's police department, Assistant Attorney General Peter Hinckley said.

He said the suspect was treated for non-life-threatening injuries at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center. The officer received treatment for minor injuries.

Hinckley said the officer first located the man near the Knightsbridge Arms complex. When he took off on foot, the officer gave pursuit. The chase led inside a building, according to Hinckley. During an altercation, the officer pulled his gun and fired two shots, Hinckley said.

A heavy police presence was summoned to the scene. The area around the front of the red brick building was cordoned off with yellow crime scene tape as about a half-dozen police officers and detectives searched the grounds. Police on the scene Saturday did not say where in the complex the shooting happened.

Resident Alicia Anderson said she wasn't home when the man was shot, but that it came as somewhat of a surprise. Anderson said there hasn't been much crime at the building. She's lived in the complex for two years.

"I'm from Jamaica, where it's usually busy and there's more activity," Anderson said.

She stood in a doorway, about 40 feet from where detectives were searching the area.