All Sections

Home | Crime

Restraining order was denied days before Nashua kidnapping

Union Leader Correspondent

January 29. 2014 10:53PM

Stanislav Osherov 

NASHUA — The young woman who was kidnapped at gunpoint Monday and taken to a city motel where she was allegedly tied up, threatened and sexually assaulted, is speaking out about the frightening experience and the measures she took to avoid the nightmare.

Kaylee Solano, 21, of Windham was allegedly abducted by her former boyfriend, Stanislav Osherov, 22, of Newton, Mass., on Monday morning from the campus of the University of New Hampshire in Manchester.

Three days earlier, Solano had a sense that something horrible was going to happen to her, prompting her to file for a restraining order at Derry District Court on Friday.

That petition was denied the same day and the case was dismissed by Judge Lucinda Sadler, who stated in her ruling that the request "does not rise to level required by statute as to imminent threat," according to court documents.

"I knew, eventually, that something was going to happen to me," Solano told the New Hampshire Union Leader on Wednesday.

Solano said that earlier this month, Osherov called her about 120 times in a three-day period and sent more than 70 texts, according to the court petition. Osherov is the father of Solano's 15-month-old son. She was granted emergency custody of the baby last October after Osherov allegedly took the child without Solano's permission.

A bad feeling

On Friday, Osherov was allegedly stalking Solano when he parked his vehicle outside of her residence and later showed up at the baby's day care center in Derry, Solano said.

Fearing that Osherov might hurt her, Solano had a day care worker approach Osherov in the parking lot and ask him to leave, she said.

"I had such a bad feeling. I felt like he was planning something," Solano said.

Solano said she contacted the Derry Police Department about the situation, telling them she feared that Solano might shoot her. The police, according to Solano, referred her to the Derry courthouse, where Solano attempted to seek a restraining order later that afternoon.

Three days later, Solano said, Osherov found her on campus, tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Kaylee, I have a gun. You have to do what I say."

"I knew kids would be getting out of class and I didn't want him to hurt anyone else," she said. After forcing Solano into a car, Osherov allegedly duct taped her hands together and made her overdraw her bank account by $200 at a Bedford cash machine.

They later stopped at a 7-Eleven in Nashua, where he took the tape off her hands. They went inside and purchased a Snapple and cigarettes.

"He told me not to do anything suspicious or he would kill everyone," said Solano.

In the motel room

They eventually ended up at Motel 6 on Progress Avenue in Nashua, where the couple checked into a room.

"I tried to eye down the guy at the desk, but he just didn't see it, obviously," she said. "I knew that it wasn't going to be good at that point. He tied my hands and legs together with phone cords and duct tape, and he told me that he wanted me to watch him die. He wanted me to suffer by seeing him kill himself."

In addition to the handgun, Osherov also had a knife, Solano said.

Police allege that Osherov sexually assaulted Solano during a lengthy standoff that lasted from about 10 p.m. on Monday to 7 a.m. on Tuesday, when he surrendered.

"I knew that we were both going to be leaving that hotel in body bags or we would both somehow make it out alive," said Solano, adding she was grateful that she was able to contact her parents by phone and let them know — in vague terms — what was going on.

Her mother immediately contacted authorities, who eventually spotted Solano's vehicle at the city motel where Osherov had already barricaded the room. A police Crisis Negotiation Team and a Special Reaction Team were activated.

Solano credits police negotiators for aiding in a successful outcome, saying they were able to calm Osherov, wear him down and eventually get him to let her go. At some point in the early morning hours, Solano said, Osherov was incredibly emotional and she was able to retrieve the gun, although he still had the knife in his possession. Because negotiations were progressing, however, she decided not to make any rash decisions.

"I tried to remain optimistic that it would end up alright, and I had to shut my brain down to get rid of the negative thoughts. I was able to untie my legs a few times, but they were under a blanket so he didn't realize. I kept thinking that I had to run, and that I could still run with my hands tied," she said. "I just can't comprehend how he could do this to the mother of his child. I just wanted to make it home to my son."

Osherov was arraigned on Wednesday in the 9th Circuit Court, Nashua District Division, on four counts of felonious sexual assault, kidnapping, criminal restraint and two counts of second-degree assault. Additional charges could be possible from other police departments.

He is currently being held without bail, and his court documents were sealed. Osherov will be back in court on Feb. 11 for a probable cause hearing.

Solano says she is frustrated that the court system failed her, and is also disappointed that Derry police didn't do more to protect her from a man she knew was unstable.

Restraining orders

Capt. Vernon Thomas of the Derry Police Department said Wednesday that he could not immediately locate any communication records his department may have had with Solano last week.

"We take these things very seriously," Thomas said of domestic violence cases.

Speaking in general terms, he said that if an individual contacts Derry police and claims they feel uncomfortable or threatened by another person, they are immediately referred to the court system if a crime has not occurred. Thomas said officers will highly recommend that a restraining order is sought at the courthouse.

"We don't have a role in the middle of it," he said. "We are concerned for the potential of domestic violence."

Still, Thomas stressed that there has to be a substantial threat mentioned — in most cases — for a restraining order to be granted.

"It is not up to us to decide whether an order is issued," he said.Solano says she knows the outcome could have been worse.

"I just want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else," she said. "But I am not going to let him ruin my future."

Solano said she is taking the week off from school. She intends to graduate in May from UNH, where she has been studying accounting and seeking her associate's degree in business administration.

Crime, law and justice Nashua Top Section Stories

More Headlines

Animal Control officer guilty in groping case