Londonderry students try their hand at pioneer living
Students Owen Barth and Jessica Stewart tried their hands at “shaving,” Colonial style, during the Pioneer Living program at Londonderry South Elementary School on Friday. (APRIL GUILMET/Union Leader Correspondent)
For the 100 or so third-graders at Londonderry South Elementary School, learning what their ancestors' daily lives may have been like took a bit of ingenuity on the parts of their teachers and a dozen parent volunteers.
In the days before electricity, doing one's laundry was quite the workout, as student Owen Barth soon learned.
"This is pretty hard," he declared.
Across the room, classmate A.J. Jackson was getting a workout of a different sort, as he ground cornmeal into dough, later rolling out the dough and placing it into cast-iron molds.
Making their way around the gym, the children also tried their hands at panning for "gold," playing with old-fashioned wooden toys, stringing Native American beads and combing out wool fibers to make fabric.
"They're having a lot of fun with this," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 15
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 5
- Politics of choice: A word stripped of its meaning - 12
- Cataldo for Senate: A keeper for District 6 - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 20
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 49
- No news is bad news: Hassan goes to CDC school - 9
- No right to know: Our silent superintendent - 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 5
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH Notebook: Ground game is Stony Brook's rock - 0
- The debut of the 'The $30,000 Nutt' - 0
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Drew Cline: Two weeks before the election, no one is talking about guns - 0
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 1
- Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash - 0
- Obamacare takes center stage at 1st Congressional debate - 2
- NHIAA Field Hockey Roundup: Londonderry edges Central - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Brummett spurs Derryfield - 0
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen