October 14. 2013 11:35PM

Chez Vachon fire

Fire at Chez Vachon doused in Manchester

MANCHESTER — A popular West Side restaurant was damaged by a stove fire Monday.

A plastic cutting board left on top of the stove at Chez Vachon ignited, starting the fire that caused an estimated $30,000 in damage, District Chief Mark Pelletier said.

Pelletier said the restaurant at 136 Kelley St. would likely be closed for a few days in order to clean up the damage and recharge the fire suppression system in the kitchen.

The system was functional, but designed more for grease and other kitchen fires than the blaze that resulted from the smoldering plastic cutting board, Pelletier said.

The restaurant was closed at the time of the fire, which was called in at 5:22 p.m.