All Sections

Home | Crime

Mother charged in son's death out on bail

Union Leader Correspondent

August 20. 2013 10:30PM

NASHUA — A young mother charged with manslaughter in the beating death of her 2-year-old son is now free on bail.

Unique Gould, who had been at the Valley Street jail in Manchester since her arrest this past spring, was released last week after having her bail reduced.

Gould, 21, of 8 Ash Court, is accused of manslaughter, first- and second-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child for the April 25 assault at her home. Police allege that she repeatedly hit Devon Gould, 2, causing a catastrophic brain injury.

Devon was placed on life support following the attack and died two weeks later, according to family members.A Hillsborough County Superior Court judge reduced Gould's bail from $100,000 cash to $10,000 cash or surety earlier this month. According to court records, the bail bond was executed on Aug. 12 and posted on Aug. 14.

Superintendent David Dionne of the Hillsborough County Department of Corrections confirmed Tuesday that Gould was released last week.

Judge Jacalyn Colburn granted a motion to amend Gould's bail conditions. According to court records, Gould has been ordered to abide a 7 p.m. curfew and not travel outside of New Hampshire.

In addition, Gould is to have no unsupervised contact with any minors and refrain from using any drugs or alcohol.

Catherine Devine, assistant county attorney, requested that a no contact order be entered to prevent Gould from contacting the child's father, Christopher Parr of Berlin. That motion was granted earlier this month.

Gould will be back in court on Sept. 24 for a dispositional conference. Meanwhile, Karinne Brobst, assistant Hillsborough County Attorney, said that if Gould is convicted of any of the charges against her, the state intends to seek an extended term of imprisonment, according to court documents.

Furthermore, Brobst filed a motion earlier this month indicating the state's intention of seeking class A penalties against Gould, specifically for two charges of endangering the welfare of a child.

Gould's public defense attorney, Anthony Sculimbrene, previously described this as a "very sad case." In a prior statement, Sculimbrene said his client asserts her innocence.

"She is devastated by the child's death. We will litigate every aspect of the case," he said following her arrest.

Police allege that Gould repeatedly hit Devon on the buttocks and head on April 25. After the child went to sleep shortly thereafter, he slept for up to 20 hours before Gould placed him in the shower and shook him in an attempt to wake the toddler, according to prosecutors.

Gould eventually called 911, but only after roommates and family members said they would call themselves if Gould didn't take action, according to prior court testimony.

Following the boy's hospitalization, Gould was interviewed by two detectives, at which time she allegedly acknowledged spanking her son on April 25, according to court documents.

"She admitted that she struck (him) numerous times on his buttocks, and confirmed that she also struck him in the head with her hand. Gould made admissions that she 'blacked out' at one point, and admitted to hitting (him) very hard," says a police affidavit filed by Detective Marc Anderson.

Police have refused to comment on whether Gould may have been impaired at the time of the alleged assault.

Crime Nashua

More Headlines