All Sections
action:frontpage | category:NEWS07 | adString:N/A | zoneID:17
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In



Area firefighters believed the fire that evacuated the Rochester Community Center began in a second-floor bathroom Monday afternoon. (Paul Dolnier Photo)

Firefighters investigating suspicious Rochester fire

ROCHESTER - The Community Center was evacuated after thick, black smoke from a suspicious fire filled the second floor hallway Monday, according to Fire Capt. Mark Avery.

Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around noon after a fire alarm sounded in the Rochester Community Center, a former high school located at 150 Wakefield St.

Avery said heavy, black smoke ran down the ceiling of a 400-foot hallway on the second floor of the building, which houses the city's recreation department and economic development personnel, as well as the superintendent's office, a local food pantry, a driving school and other agencies.

As a result, Avery said firefighters from Rochester and Somersworth divided up to search the various rooms and hallways.

They quickly located the origin of the fire and believe it someone purposely ignited a hand soap container.

"It traveled half-way up the wall and caused more smoke than fire," Avery said.

Avery said firefighters continue to investigate the incident.



jquinn@newstote.com


action:frontpage | category:NEWS07 | adString:N/A | zoneID:20
action:frontpage | category:NEWS07 | adString:N/A | zoneID:20
action:frontpage | category:NEWS07 | adString:N/A | zoneID:20
action:frontpage | category:NEWS07 | adString:N/A | zoneID:20

        

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety


NH Angle - Public Safety