Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire in Rochester under investigation
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 3:08 p.m. after employees at Lydall Filtration/Separation Inc. reported the fire in the woods behind the Chestnut Hill Road plant.
After the first firefighters arrived at the scene, Fire Chief Norm Sanborn said a second alarm was sounded within four to five minutes.
"When it initially started, with the wind, we were afraid it would jump the highway," Sanborn said.
Fire Capt. Mark Avery said firefighters cut down a few large, dead trees that caught fire near the home and took measures to keep the fire contained as it headed toward Route 16.
Avery said the nearby wetlands slowed the fire down, but it still burned about an acre and a half.
Firefighters used foam to extinguish the fire on leaves, sticks, trees and on the remnants of the small home which was near other buildings behind the plant.
Crews were assisted by firefighters from Barrington, Dover, Durham, Farmington and Somersworth and forest rangers from the state's Forest Protection Bureau.
There were no injuries.
Sanborn said a cause of the fire had not been determined as of Thursday afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
Citizens Bank robbed Saturday in Manchester