FairPoint to layoff 90 across northern New England
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - FairPoint Communications, a telephone and Internet service provider in northern New England, on Wednesday announced plans to eliminate approximately 90 positions across New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont over the next several months.
Company officials could not specify how many layoffs would occur in each state.
The reductions were negotiated in the company's current collective bargaining agreement, according to company officials, who pointed out the staff layoffs are in addition to the elimination of more than 30 management positions across the company last month.
"We are adjusting our work?force to remain competitive in our market and to further position FairPoint for success," said Greg Castle, executive vice president of human resources.
FairPoint expects the reduction in force to result in annual expense savings of approximately $11 million, with the full benefit realized in 2014.
Severance or incentive payments to eligible employees will cost the company $5 million to $8 million in 2013.
FairPoint currently has approximately 3,300 employees across 17 states.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.