Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire destroys storage barn, burns half-acre in Milton
Milton Fire Chief Nicholas Marique said the department received the first report of the fire at about 10:10 a.m.
The second alarm was ordered with the fire department on its way to the scene.
"We were en route when we heard it was fully involved," Marique said. "We recognized the address and had a pretty good idea of what the house was, so we wanted to have a lot of people coming."
Firefighters first priority was to protect the house on the property, which was connected to another barn. The house and attached second barn were not damaged.
The storage barn was built in the 1980s. The structure was a total loss, as were the four snowmobiles, some four-wheel vehicles and small engine equipment stored in the barn.
In addition to consuming the barn, the fire spread to nearby brush, charring about a half-acre of countryside.
"It spread probably 100 to 150 yards down the length of a stone wall and then up and over and up a hill," Marique said.
A nearby pond provided enough water to put the fire out.
The cause has been ruled accidental, but Marique said that because the structure was a total loss, it would be difficult to pinpoint the precise cause of the fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072