All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Woodstove fire makes Derry home uninhabitable


December 15. 2017 8:08PM
The Derry Fire Prevention Bureau found that a maintenance issue with the woodstove and chimney at 3 Briarwood St. in Derry was the likely cause of Friday's blaze. There were also no working smoke detectors in the home. (Derry Fire Department)



DERRY — Derry fire officials are investigating a woodstove fire in the basement that rendered a Briarwood Street home uninhabitable Friday morning.

The first call came in at 11:31 a.m. regarding a fire in the basement of 3 Briarwood St.

First responders found heavy smoke coming from the building.

Officials searched the house for victims and found none, ventilated the house and then fought to extinguish the basement fire that extended to the first floor.

The fire departments of Londonderry, Auburn, Windham, Manchester and Salem all sent units to the scene where Derry police also assisted.

The departments of Chester, Hampstead, Hudson and Plaistow helped out with manning the stations of the departments battling the blaze.

The smoke, water and fire damage made the home unable to live in, officials said.

The Derry Fire Prevention Bureau found that a maintenance issue with the woodstove and chimney was the likely cause of the blaze. There were also no working smoke detectors in the home.

The fire was brought under control at 12:08 p.m., about 40 minutes after the first alarm, officials said.

There were no injuries to residents or the responding firefighters.


Fires General News Derry


More Headlines

Fire ruins home, but cat is rescued