NH's first baby showed up early; mom says she knew all would be well

New Hampshire Union Leader
January 01. 2018 9:07PM
Baby Gifty Nnamerenwa is in the NICU at Elliot Hospital in Manchester. (COURTESY)

The story of New Hampshire’s first baby of 2018 is really a tale of two cities.

Gifty Nnamerenwa was born at 1:46 a.m. on Monday at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua, and was quickly whisked away to the neo-natal intensive care unit at Elliot Hospital in Manchester, where she is in good condition after being born three months premature, according to her parents.

“I don’t know what she was rushing to,” said her mother and namesake. “She was not due until April, and all of my other kids were full-term. She’s our miracle baby.”

John Nnamerenwa, Gifty’s father, uses his index finger to draw a line from his wrist to his elbow to illustrate the tiny size of his new daughter, born at 1 pound, 1 ounce.

Gifty is the first baby born in New Hampshire to the Nnamerenwa family, who moved here in late November from Washington state to live in Pelham, near John’s new job as an engineer with Raytheon in Woburn, Mass.

Her older siblings, Marselle, 16, and Eddieandra, 19, were born in Minnesota; sister Ifeomaunique, 2, was born in Washington state during John’s five years of active duty with the Navy.

New job, new home and new baby have made for an exciting time for the family.
The Nnamerenwa family, from the left, Ifeomaunique, John, Gifty and Marselle at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center. (Dave Solomon / Union Leader)

Gifty, the mom, was experiencing signs of an early delivery late last week. By Sunday evening, the couple decided they had better check in with the doctor.

An ultrasound confirmed the baby was on its way.

“They were trying to see if they could get me to the Elliot because the NICU is there, but she was breach,” said Gifty, “and they didn’t want to take a chance on an ambulance. It was not going to be safe for her, so we had to make the decision for her to be born here and taken right over there.”

The mother and father said their newborn could remain hospitalized until April.

Despite the unnerving circumstances of the delivery, Gifty says she knew in her heart that everything would work out.

“I was praying, but I had no fear,” she said. “I felt in my spirit that everything was going to be fine. Before they took us in the delivery room, we prayed. We are a family that prays together.”

The family regularly attends services at the Assembly of God church in Lowell, Mass.

“I knew my husband was panicking, but I told him everything would be fine,” said Gifty.

A medical assistant for Alliance Home Care, she’ll now have to change her family leave plans.

“Now that my baby came so early, I’ll have to call my job, because I was planning on taking my leave at the end of March,” she said. “They were going to have a baby shower for me, but now I don’t know if it’s going to be a baby shower or a naming ceremony.”


HealthNH PeopleLifestyleManchesterNashua

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required